Kizuna Baby is a program in which trained volunteers regularly visit and massage babies living in institutions in their own communities to foster the children’s health, well-being and development. The program was launched in Japan in 2010. More than thirty baby massage volunteers and six institutions currently participate in the program. The six institutions are in Kobe, Morioka and Tokyo. Kizuna Baby also provides free baby massage classes to the staff of institutions and to biological, foster and adoptive parents of institutionalized children.
‘Kizuna’ is the Japanese word for ‘bond’ and refers to the bond between babies and their parents or other caregivers which is deepened by nurturing touch and which is so crucial to children's well-being and optimal development.
Baby Massage Workshop for the Volunteer Program
- Date: March 28 (Sat) 10:00 ～17:00（1 hour lunch break）
- Venue: Community center in Shinagawa Ward
- What to bring: Pen, doll to practice massage, lunch (beverage)
- Donation: 10,000 yen
Maximum number of participants: 25
Application deadline: March 14 (Sat)
Please send application to firstname.lastname@example.org
with the following information:
full name, telephone number (mobile number preferable), and purpose for enrolling in the workshop. Details will be sent after applications are received.
- For those who wish to participate in Kizuna Baby volunteer activities, attending this workshop is required. Prior to starting volunteer activities, prospective volunteers must meet the requirements of the orphanage. Depending upon the desired schedule and conditions, volunteers may not be able to start volunteer activities immediately.
- Parents and grandparents who wish to learn to massage their own children or grandchildren may also join the workshop. However, please refrain from bringing your children.
◆ Instructor: Doris Seau Yakuwa
Trainer & Therapist, Wellness education for mothers, babies and children
Doris started baby massage 14 years ago with the birth of her twin boys. Even now, she continues to practice nurturing touch to her twins. In addition, Doris has been conducting workshops based on the EduQ wellness program for children and women and Chinese medicine for more than 10 years in Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Japan and China. The workshops are for a broad range of persons -- from newborn babies to 18-year-olds and their parents and also women -- to educate them on approaches and techniques that combine both natural remedies from the East and the West. Doris is passionate about sharing and conveying her knowledge and experience to others.
◆ Certifications / Training
★ Therapist, Trainer
- Certified therapist of Thai Wat Poh Traditional Medical Massage School
(Thai massage, child massage, postnatal care massage)
- Certified Infant Massage Instructor, International Association of Infant Massage (IAIM); Australia and Thailand trainer
- Mothercare prenatal massage (Australia)
- LiddleKidz Foundation USA: Pediatric and Autistic Children's Massage (Japan JABC)
- Kindermusik Music Program Educator (USA)
★ Chinese Medicine
- China Beijing International Acupuncture & Acupressure Training Institute
- China Qingdao Traditional Chinese Medicine Centre (Pediatric Massage Specialist, Lactation Massage Therapist and Instructor)
- Specialist & Instructor of TCM Pediatric Tuina (Child Acupoint Massage) certified by China Ministry of Labour Department
★ Yoga Instructor
- Yoga Education Institute: Hatha Yoga and Kids Yoga (USA)
- Beijing Fine Yoga Training Centre: Prenatal Yoga (China)